Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Papercraft Star Thursday Tutorial

     It's my turn to bring this week's Papercraft Star tutorial. Faux stitching on cards and page layouts is a popular form of adding a little something extra. I've been using a piece of regular plastic canvas for a long time to make my straight row faux stitches, but you don't have to just stick to straight lines. You can find plastic canvas in several different shapes. For this tutorial I'm going to use a circle as my template.
     Supplies you'll need include the plastic canvas template, your image or whatever you want to add the stitching to, a paper piercer, some masking tape (scotch tape doesn't stick to the plastic very well), an old mouse pad (excuse my grungy one), and a detailing pen if you want to add "thread" between your stitches.


     Find the circle width you need, center your paper piece, and tape it to the back of the plastic canvas template.


     Turn the piece over and using your paper piercer poke holes in whichever row of the template that you want your stitching in. An old mouse pad really comes in handy for this technique.


     Voila'! You have a nice neat even row of faux stitches around your circle.


     If you want to add thread, just use a fine line marker to draw in between each hole that you pierced.


     Hope you found this tip useful. You can find the plastic canvas in a heart shape and hexagon among others.
     Happy crafting!

31 comments:

Unknown said...

Great tut, with such a template it's a lot easier to add stitches than with your sewing machine :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this fab technique ...i don't have a canvas pad ...could you suggest where I could find one

Kristina said...

You are so clever!! I knew there was a reason I like you ;)
Great tutorial Tracy, I wouldn't have thought of it..LOL

Michelle Pearson said...

uhm...you ROCK! I always do mine freehand...but what a great idea! I'm gonna have to check out that aisle in the craft store now too!! LOL! :)

Regan said...

Great tutorial Tracy! TFS, Regan

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tip! Just found it through Pinterest.

Andrea D. La Vigne said...

Great tutorial & idea! One of those, "why didn't I think of that?" Tfs!

Unknown said...

Fantastic idea. I have been thinking of buying a machine, but I love this result. Thank you so much.

Unknown said...

Great idea, thanks! Now i dont need a machine....

Vicki said...

Great idea; can't believe I didn't think of it! LOL. Thankd for sharing

Marilyn said...

Thanks for this... and what the other gals said, I can't believe I didn't think of this. It's a great idea and so effective.

Unknown said...

AWESOME!! AND TO THINK I DO PLASTIC CANVASING!! WHO KNEW! CERTAINLY NOT ME BUT I DO KNOW. THANKS!!!

Dk said...

Awesome! I wished I had seen this before I bought a die set! I could have save a lot of money.

Keti's Projects said...

Wau. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

House of Dreams said...

This will be perfect for my greeting card making

Vi soriano said...

where can we buy those plastic canvass?

Unknown said...

Where can we purchase the canvas with the hole already in it. Did you make your own and if so, how? Thanks.

Linda D.

Tracy said...

You can find the templates in several shapes in the sewing sections of your crafts store usually with the yarn. Happy crafting!

Claire said...

What a wonderful idea. I just put stitched and dotted dies in a wish list on a site I use. Guess I'll remove them and get some plastic canvas. Thank you for sharing for sure. Saved me $$ to put to some other good card making supplies.

Vianna said...

This is still so relevant to scrapbooking ... and so elegantly beautiful!

nancy louise said...

Just use
a piece of craft foam or felt if you don't have an old mouse pad.

D said...

Such a great way to do all sizes of rectangles , squares, and if I cut my plastic canvas octagons and hexagons in addition to the circles you showed. I think I can save some $ here and skip buying the stitched rectangle, circle, and square nesting dies. Also great for framing photos on scrapbook pages....Thanks so much for sharing!

Claire said...

I would have one question - how would you make one for an oval shape? I now use the circle one and made a square & rectangle one, but the oval one is stumping me to get the holes just right. TY in advance.

Tracy said...

I'm not sure Claire. They make oval plastic canvas but it doesn't have an oval pattern in the holes just an oval overall shape. Wish I could offer you a solution but you might have to actually purchase a die to achieve that one.

Susanne said...

GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

Claire said...

TY, I did end up purchasing the oval layering dies from Stamping Up. They work wonderful.

Sheila said...

great idea

Deb L said...

Excellent tip thanks

Robin said...

Where can I buy the round plastic canvas template?

Mary M said...

Using your die will be much quicker though.
I don't think you will regret buying it.🙂🙂👍

Mary M said...

Using your die will be much quicker though.
I don't think you will regret buying it.🙂🙂👍